Using Other Media For Inspiration
- HomeUsing Other Media For Inspiration
“I want to write, I just don’t know what to write.”
“I have nothing new to say.”
“I’m bored with my own writing.”
We’ve all been there before. Feeling the itch to write, but drawing a blank when sitting before the computer screen or notepad. Our minds, lacking the oomph to create. It’s frustrating, and it makes you all sorts of self-conscious.
I think the worst is when the inability to write chucks the writer into an existential crisis. You know, when you start questioning yourself, your abilities, and losing faith in everything you’ve ever written or thought to write.
“Maybe I wasn’t meant to do this.”
“What else am I good at? Maybe it’s time to put down the pen.”
“Maybe I’m good at baking. Yeah, I’ll start a baking show.”
All right, maybe not that last one. Not for me, at least, but you get the point. But what does a writerly soul do when the creative juices just aren’t flowing? Many just turn to reading, but there are several other options to turn to that help birth new ideas and inspirations.
- I don’t know about you, but music is sometimes all I need to get a scene roaring through my mind. Epic music like that from Two Steps From Hell can inspire battle scenes or other fantasy genre tidbits. Soundtracks from games and movies like Game of Thrones and Dragon Age: Origins are wonderful for emotional scenes as well as battle.
- When I’m having a hard time finding something new to write about, I turn on a movie like Narnia or The Lord of the Rings. Searching through the background of the epic scenery always brings to light something I never saw or realized before. Often, I can apply that new discovery to something new.
- If you ever simply cannot get pretty pictures in your head and words put together, go on the search for art. Be specific to your genre, and I guarantee you will find something new to write about.
These are only some ways for a writer to find new inspiration for a new story, or even to help through slow scenes that are holding you back.
A true writer will never let themselves go too far down the existential crisis rabbithole. They will wander through other media for inspiration, and those who seek will find.
[bctt tweet=”A true #writer will never remain blocked. They will find other #media to inspire. #writerslife #writersblock” username=”lf_oake”]
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)