Support Literacy- First Book’s Authors & Illustrators in Action
- HomeSupport Literacy- First Book’s Authors & Illustrators in Action
As writers, literacy is important. There are nearly 800 million illiterate people on this planet. If people can’t read, our words are useless. The goal is to “Bring Literacy to 100 million by the end of the decade.” This is one of many reasons why Our Write Side supports literacy causes.
First Book is one we support 100%. It’s so easy to get involved as creative arts people with their Authors and Illustrators in Action program.
They realize that learning to read is critical to one’s success, especially in communication. It has been proven that children who can read have better future opportunities. The bigger problem is availability of books to low income schools and communities. This is where First Books comes in. To date, First Book has provided more than 135 million books to children in need, increasing access to materials for schools and libraries nationwide. While this is impressive, it is only a small portion of the communities across the nation needing help. And that’s where you come in. You can help put an end to illiteracy (and as authors, publishers, and poets, isn’t that what we want?) in simple ways such as:
- Donate Now – Help fund the purchase of new books for children in need. Just $10 provides four new books.
- Fundraise – Start a fundraising effort to bring books to kids in your community.
- Volunteer – Join or start a First Book Advisory Board in your community and help fund books and provide grants for new books to eligible Recipient Groups.
- Partner with First Book – Learn how corporate, nonprofit and publishing partners have teamed up with First Book to end illiteracy, and how your organization can join the effort.
And as authors, you really need to know about the Authors in Action program. We joined up and suggest you do too. Just follow this link and you’ll get your own personal referral URL to share with the schools, educators, and libraries of your community. Here’s why you should become an Author in Action…
“It’s a program First Book and the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) have created to give authors and illustrators the tools they need to help eligible schools and programs gain access to First Book’s pipeline of free and affordable books and resources.”
If you believe every kid deserves to grow up reading books, and you’ve been seeking a way to put your money where your mouth is regarding literacy, then this is perfect program for you. It’s easy to do, especially with the personal URL they give you. If you don’t have a lot of time, you can still help with contributions, fundraising, and telling your children’s teachers about it.
So easy, here’s where you too can sign up.
If you are an educator or teacher in a low income area in need of this assistance, please feel free to use our referral URL and let us know how we can help.
Here’s to putting an end to illiteracy.
Have a literary cause you’d like us to consider? Send the details to email@example.com, Subject: Literacy
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)