Raising Voices: Society
- HomeRaising Voices: Society
David Ryan Hill, a 15-year-old Sophomore from Virginia, gives us some stark insight into the depths of teenage depression in the following freelance poem. David is the middle child in a trio of brothers who enjoys baseball and wrestling. He uses poetry as a way to cope when he feels down about life.
Society is the main problem nowadays
and hopefully this is just a phase.
People making innocent little girls sick of crying,
beautiful little angels tired of trying
and although it looks like they are smiling,
on the inside they are dying.
Innocent people draw barcodes on their wrists with a razor,
and no one will be there to be an appraiser,
ugly word keep causing numerous accounts of suicide,
because of all they’ve held on the inside,
so many people put a gun to their temple,
as they pull the trigger fast but gentle.
After that, blood paints the walls,
and how quick her lifeless body falls,
everyone wonders why she’s done this,
when they’re the reason she was in this abyss,
everyone who cared for her fill with tears,
because she’s gone for the world’s remaining years.
If you or someone you know needs emotional support or to speak with a suicide prevention counselor, please visit The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. If you know of international resources please share them in the comments of this post. If you prefer to text, say “Hi” to 741741 and someone will answer you right away.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)