OWS is Going Steampunk for our 2019 Short Story Anthology
- HomeOWS is Going Steampunk for our 2019 Short Story Anthology
October 15, 2018 1 Comment For Authors, Submission Guidelines, Submissions Phoebe Darqueling
Between now and January 28, we’re accepting short stories in the Steampunk genre. We’re looking for stories between 3,500 and 10,000 words, and that cover a wide range of Steampunk topics. In brief, Steampunk began as a literary genre loosely inspired by the real or imagined cultures, events, and technologies of the Industrial Era. It can take various forms, from an alternative history, to a dystopian future, to a complete fantasy world untethered to our sense of time and space. In more recent times, Steampunk has leaped from the pages of books and into people’s lives in the form of special events, elaborate costumes, and dedicated “sports.” If you are looking for a more in depth explanation, you can check out this brief intro or all of the wonderful posts on SteampunkJournal.org. Though many of the works in the Steampunk genre take place in London during Victoria’s reign, don’t let that limit you. The steam era happened all over the world and with different consequences. The “scientific romances” of the 19th century are a wonderful place to get inspiration, and those stories take their characters into the center of the earth, into outer space, and through time. So get ready to spread your pneumatic wings and let your imagination fly! One of the amazing things about Steampunk is how it can be mashed up with a variety of genres. So bring us your horror, your romance, your adventure, and everything in between. All submissions must be submitted to email@example.com before midnight Eastern time on Jan. 28. Your submission email should include:
- Inquiry/SteampunkAnthology/Story title on the subject line.
- The body of the email should include your full legal name, author name, the title of the submission, mailing address, and email address you would like the contract sent to if you are accepted, as well as a short one paragraph synopsis of the story or blurb along with the word count.
- Please attach your third person bio, the manuscript, and a high-resolution head shot.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
Phoebe Darqueling Phoebe Darqueling is a speculative fiction writer who also runs SteampunkJournal.org. You can find her writing in contributions to the Collaborative Writing Challenge, including their newest Steampunk release, Army of Brass. During the academic year, Phoebe is the Creative Director and curriculum writer for a creativity for middle school students, which has given her an understanding of and appreciation for intelligence and creativity of all shapes and sizes.
Posts You might like
%d bloggers like this: