How to Start Your New Blog
- HomeHow to Start Your New Blog
If you’ve been toying around with the idea of starting a new blog, but was daunted by just the thought, then this post is for you. Starting a new blog can seem scary but with a few tips, some general advice, and a walk through of your first post, you’ll be ready to start. So let’s begin.
The most important thing is to pick a subject you’re passionate about and can unpack and write about for years to come (because we are starting a blog to last the ages, right?). If it’s something you’re not passionate about, your writing will be lackluster and dull. You also need a subject with staying power so you can write about it week after week. Whether this is a place for your poems, where you give great writing tips (like me), or where you post all about your cats is up to you.
Consistency is key. Set up a blog schedule and follow it. Whether you’re posting every day, every week, or every third Thursday, stick to it. I always post my blog on Mondays so my routine is to pick a topic on Thursday and start researching and compiling ideas so I have a polished post to put up on Monday (and for this column on Tuesday).
You’ll start off slow and that’s okay. As you build up more posts, you’ll get more readers. This takes a little time so don’t get discouraged by your numbers at first.
And be yourself. You’ll attract more viewers and build your audience by being authentic and relatable. I recommend reading other blogs and evaluating what about them makes you want to read more. But create your own voice when you apply what you learned to your blog.
Now let’s look at some tips for blogging:
- Schedule a time to upload new posts and be consistent
- Be useful/helpful to your reader
- Craft a good About Me section
- Pay attention to headlines
- Keep paragraphs short for easy reading
- Use subheadings and lists to break up content
- Add pictures (public domain only)
- Use a signature sign off
- Interact with your readers
- Proofread before you publish
- Share on social media
- Write guest posts on other blogs
- Read other blogs and leave comments. Learn from others and build comradery
Finally let’s go through writing your first post. Come up with a topic. But don’t just choose any topic. Pick one that follows your subject and will also be helpful to your reader (they want a reason to read on). Once you have a topic, it’s a good idea to outline. Will you have a bulleted list? Organize each paragraph and find the proper sequence. Get all your ideas down. If an idea pops into your head, write it down before you forget. Next we write the full post and format accordingly. Last we sign off with our signature farewell and add pictures to make everything visually appealing. Proofread it twice and then hit publish. And you’re done! Not such a herculean task after all. Some of these tips are new to me as well, so I’ll be implementing them into my own blog.
Do you have any tips for blogging? Any struggles with it? Comment below and happy blogging!
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)