Meet Auren of Shadow Stalker by Renee Scattergood
- HomeMeet Auren of Shadow Stalker by Renee Scattergood
Occupation: Shadow Stalker
Age: 18 (at the beginning of the story… it takes place over several years)
1.What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I don’t think I’ve achieved much of anything at this point in my life, unless you consider training to be a shadow stalker and surviving against all odds when the Galvadi Empire has been trying to kill me since my birth to be an achievement. I’ll be happy if I manage to do what I’m meant to do and stop the Galvadi from taking over the entire Serpent Isles and destroying innocent lives.
- What is your best physical feature?
I’m not sure. It’s not something I’ve ever thought about. I’ve always been self-conscious of my looks. I grew up on Appolia, an island in the far north and most people there are fair haired and skinned. With my olive complexion and dark hair, I really stood out. But I suppose my height and strength have helped me over the years. I’m certainly not helpless.
- What is your most treasured possession?
My books. I don’t own a lot, but I love my books. Oh, and the backpack Kado got for me when I was young. We would go camping every year during the summer months, and I’d take that backpack with me. It’s pretty beat up after years of use, but it’s part of me.
- What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Makari, most definitely. We started as enemies as he is the son of Drevin, the emperor of the Galvadi, but we were mean to be together.
- What is your favorite journey?
Travelling from Adalasia on the Dark Isle to meet my aunt, uncle and cousins for the first time. My parents were taken from me when I was born, so meeting my family was probably the best thing that ever happened to me, despite the other issues that happened during that visit.
- What is your most marked characteristic?
My inability to avoid getting into trouble. I always thought my friend Jade’s bad influence was what had gotten me into trouble so much growing up, but now I’m beginning to believe it’s something I was born with.
- Define happiness and share your happiest memory.
Happiness is feeling safe and secure no matter what’s going on around you. I feel like that whenever I’m with Makari. Unfortunately, that doesn’t happen as often as I’d like. My happiest memory was meeting my father; something I thought would never happen since I’d spent my life believing he was dead.
- What is it that you most dislike?
That’s easy. The Galvadi Empire and everything it stands for.
What is your greatest fear?
My greatest fear is that I won’t be able to do what I’m meant to do. That I won’t stop the Galvadi and that Drevin will turn me into the monster he tells people that I am.
- What is your greatest extravagance?
A warm bath and a comfortable bed to sleep it. It doesn’t happen often.
- Who do you most despise?
Drevin. I hate that he’s turned against his own people and destroyed many innocent lives, including my own.
That I will never know my mother. Apparently, I’m just like her, but I haven’t decided if that’s good or bad. It makes me miss her more.
- Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to turn invisible. That would really work in my favor. Sure, I can sort of do that through the shadow world, but it’s limited.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
My inability to keep my thoughts to myself. It’s part of what often gets me into trouble.
- What do you most value in your friends?
My friends are the most loyal people you’d ever meet. I was an outcast growing up, but they didn’t care about my differences. They loved me and accepted me anyway.
- Who do you most admire?
My foster father, Kado. He sacrificed a lot to raise and protect me, including giving up his own child.
- What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Courage, though I’m not sure it’s so much overrated as it is misunderstood. Most people believe courage is the absence of fear. I’ve learned the hard way that those with the most courage also experience the most fear. They just don’t let their fear stop them from doing what needs to be done.
- Which words or phrases are you known for?
None that I know of.
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
That’s hard. For a long time I wished I had been born normal. Then there would be no Galvadi Empire or war. I wouldn’t have spent my life in hiding, but I also wouldn’t have met most of the people who became important to me, especially Makari.
- What is your motto?
I don’t have one, but if I had to adopt one it would be, “Look before you leap.” It’s something I need to put into practice more, but I probably won’t.
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)