Do You Know Why I Loved to Teach?
- HomeDo You Know Why I Loved to Teach?
The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural curiosity of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards. ~Anatole France
How many people are blessed to have a job they love?
I see a lot of people who grumble about their jobs and some even state they hate it, but they are grateful for it. I really couldn’t imagine working my whole life at a job (or jobs) that I don’t love. I have changed jobs a lot. I know, it looked a little less than desirable at times on my resume, but my skills usually outweighed it. I simply cannot suck it up. I need to love what I do and I have never stuck out a soul-draining job.
I used to teach preschool. In fact, I taught preschool for 14 years. And I loved it. I no longer love it, it seems as though as my children grew older my patience grew thinner. And now I write full time, which I love! So, with all that said, I am give you a list of the reasons I loved to teach preschool.
10 REASONS WHY I LOVED MY TEACHING JOB
- Dr. Seuss: I can immerse myself in fiffer-fieffer-feffs and Who’s every day with nary a wayward glance.
2. My Creative Outlet: I get to finger paint, play with Play-Doh, do sciences experiences (read: blow stuff up), go on field trips, go all out on holiday decorating, play dress….(really I could go on and on!)
3. Legos: These cursed-get-stepped-on-in-the-middle-of-the-night objects have been banned from my house, but I can always build my robots and space ships and owls at work!
4.Preschool Humor: Seriously, why did the chicken cross the road? Young inquiring minds want to must know!
5. Sharing myself: I know stuff. (Oh, don’t act so surprised!) And I like sharing what I know and/or learn. I love that look in their eye when they get it. And I think, “I did that.”
6. Part time: Yeah baby! I survived teaching preschool from 8:30-12:00, then I had nap duty until 1:30. The rest of the day was mine! I mean, well, I pick up my kids from school then did snacks, homework, chores, cooking dinner…….Nevermind…
7. Magic Kiss Healing Powers: It was a sad day the last time I went to kiss a boo-boo for my youngest child and she recoiled while rolling her eyes…But with 4 years olds I still have the magic!
8. Birthday Parties: Preschool birthday parties are the best! There are cupcakes and ice cream and cupcakes, and if the parents aren’t too cheap awesome goody bags and cupcakes and games and did I mention cupcakes?
9. They trust me: Pft, Not the parents (wait, I mean they do but that’s not what I was talking about). Have you ever encountered a terrified preschooler tragically trapped at the top of an unforgiving climbing apparatus? They’re scared and shaky and really want their mommies. But I talk to them and soothe them and convince to jump from 6 feet above because I really will try to catch them. And when they look at me a split second before leaping and I see the utter trust in their eyes I feel like a…
10. Rockstar: For about 4 hours a day from Monday to Friday their little worlds revolved around me. They would say, do, or go anywhere just because “Mrs. Amanda says so.” And that
power connection is wonderful! I was a Preschool Goddess, adored by 4-year olds everywhere…
Tell me 10 reasons why you love your job. Also, if you love reading my writing (and I’m assuming you do since you are here) then won’t you please take a moment to show your support by leaving a comment.
Until next time, scribe happy!
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)