All aboard the Friday Flash Fiction Train! Each week, a new prompt will take us to parts unknown – sit back, check out the prompt, and enjoy the ride.
But first, some rules.
- Every other week, a random??prompt will be posted on Friday. Participants have until the Wednesday before the next prompt at 12:00 PM EST??to write and submit a response in the comment section. Your story??must be posted in the comments to count.
- The catch – after the first week with a winner, the responses to the prompts must build off the previous winning entry, continuing its story.??To avoid never-ending stories, the contest will reset every 5 winners. We’re aiming to tell a story in 5-episode bursts.
- Voting will be open to decide a winner from Wednesday??at 12PM EST to Thursday??at 10PM EST. Voting will be on site and also in our Facebook group, OWS Word Mafia.
- The winning piece will be featured in the next??prompt, with links to the winner’s social media.
- Word limit:??400.
- All responses are property of the authors.
- Completed stories might also be compiled into ebooks in the future!
This past week, we had one submission, from yours truly. Check it out below, read the quote prompt, and pick up where I left off!
To the prompt!
Something went wrong with the spell, and her first hint was that??smell. Nevermind that one second Celeste had been surrounded by utter silence, and now there was a thunderous roar shaking everything around her. Was someone attacking her? Unwilling to sit around and wait, she hurried out of the tunnel, confused as to why the walls of the cave were now smooth and riddled with strange bars.
It took her half an hour to make her way out.
Something definitely went wrong.??As soon as Celeste stepped into the light, she found herself surrounded by people in strange clothes. This wasn???t the forest she???d been running through, and the cave she???d been hiding in was nowhere to be found. Behind her, the large structure she came from towered above her, disappearing into the clouds. She had to walk away from it just to take it all in.
???Lady, move!??? Celeste barely had time to react before someone yanked her arm. A young woman, no older than her, probably, gripped her wrist tight as she pulled. Behind her, a roaring beast of a thing passed by, faster than anything she???d ever seen. ???What the hell is wrong with you????
Stunned, she couldn???t really respond.
???Hello? Sam are you okay? Hey!?????The woman looked down at her hand, as if just remembering she had one, and put the small, black rectangle ??? where the voice seemed to be coming from ??? up to her ear.
???Yeah sorry. Some lady just walked into traffic. I???ll call you back.???
???Wait! We???re still on for dinner, right????
???I???ll let you know.???
Celeste watched, enthralled by the thing in the woman???s hand. How had she enchanted it? She???d never seen anything like it, let alone being used out in the open like this woman was. Celeste couldn???t help herself.?????Are you a witch, too????
???Your item ??? you???ve clearly trapped someone in there. How did you do it? My binding spells never work.???
The woman looked at Celeste like she???d never seen another person before. After a moment her confusion turned to concern.
???Are you alright? People don???t just walk into traffic like that. Do you need help???? She scanned Celeste from top to bottom, her head tilting as if she couldn???t understand. ???Are you in town for a convention or something????
???Your costume. It???s pretty cool, but Comic Con isn???t until next weekend.???
PROMPT: “Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death.” – Omar N. Bradley
Like this snippet? Check me out on social media:
Remember – participants should include??name/pen name and any links they’d like to share for promotional purposes (Twitter, FB Page, Goodreads, Website, etc).
Not sure you want to play? Check out the contest’s previous incarnation for an idea of how it works.