Fractured Fridays: Jilted
A couple of summers ago, I had the great fun of collaborating with other writers to produce “Flip Flop Fiction.” Using the Mad Hatter and his hat as the mode of time travel, characters from one story would make an appearance in another story and change it. We had wonderful fun twisting the fairy tales.
When we were coming up with ideas for the writing site, Fractured Fiction came to mind. Our Write Side proudly presents Fractured Fridays: fractured flash fiction, putting new spins on the classics, favorite stories, fairy tales, and nursery rhymes we all know and love.
The rules are simple:
- Read the information.
- Read the challenge.
- Write a story 700 words or less answering the challenge.
- Share the url to your story in the comments OR, if you don’t have your own blog, share your story in the comments.
- Please keep your stories pg-13 or under since this is a public page. Add trigger warnings where necessary. Keep vulgarity to a minimum.
- Have FUN!
Now, are you ready for the prompt?
Literature is filled with romance, especially love triangles and jilted lovers, wrong choices, and murderous adoration. This why, for the month of February (because it is the love month, after all!), we will focus on jilted loves and love triangles and rewriting all the things in between.
For this week, let’s start with these three famous love triangles:
- James and Lily Potter, Severus Snape (Harry Potter)
- Tess, Alex D’urbanville, and Angel Clare (Tess of the D’urbanvilles)
- Allie, Noah, and Lon (The Notebook)
Choose one, or mix them up. Rewrite their love stories. Take writing liberties. Maybe you think Allie and Angel would make a better couple. How would that change either of their stories? Maybe in the end Lily chose Snape. How would that have changed their stories (or would it?). It’s your call. Kill your darlings, throw in a new love, spin the tale. All we ask is that you keep it clean (PG-13 please).
You have until Thursday, February 11, 2016 to shake up their worlds.