Coldly Calculating: 13 Gates of Hell
Welcome to Coldly Calculating: Writing by the Numbers.
I will be your host each week as we probe the darker corners of your imagination. This series is meant to help feed your mystery/horror muse, so try to give us chills! The prompt is open to interpretation, but try to include the phrase somewhere in your piece.
This Week’s Prompt
There 13 notable locations that have been considered “Gates of Hell.” We will list them below with links so you can look into them further. Your prompt specifics will come after the list.
- Houska Castle
- The Ploutonion at Hierapolis
- Fengdu, China
- Masaya Volcano
- The Seven Gates of Hell
- Lacus Curtius
- St. Patrick’s Purgatory
- Mount Hekla
- Lake Avernus
- Cape Matapan
- The Mayan Cenotes
- Mount Osore
Choose one location from this list, read up enough to be familiar with it, then drop your favorite character into it. Why are they there? What will happen? Write a short story that reveals the more sinister story in of these notorious locales. I like it dark, don’t be afraid to push the envelope.
The rules are simple:
- Read the prompt and the history behind the phrase.
- Write a story 700 words or less answering the challenge.
- Share the url to your story in the comments OR, if you don’t have your own blog, share your story in the comments. Either way, it will be seen.
- Please keep your stories pg-13 or under since this is a public page. Add trigger warnings where necessary. Keep vulgarity to a minimum.
- Have FUN!
Until next time, scribe happy and stay sassy!