The Martyr

The Martyr
October 11, 2012 24 Comments Writing Stephanie Ayers

The day hailed bright and sunny, the white walls soaking up the cheerful sunshine, as they always did.. The pristine walkway would be crowded today as two soldiers marched in front of me, and two followed behind. They would push me hard and fast, my arms trapped behind my back, encased in steel, and chained to my feet, also bound by steel. If I stumbled, their feet would fly into my ribs.

I will face my executioner at the end of the long white walk, though my only sin was to fight for my country. I am a prisoner of war and today, I will die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The object of the #FridayFictioneers prompt is to use the picture prompt provided and write a 100 word response to it. Here’s my take.

I welcome feedback. Please share your thoughts in a comment.

Thanks for stopping in!!

sustainabilitea

The combination of sun and dark shade seem to foreshadow the darkness of your story taking place in a sunny place and the darkness in the narrator as he (or she) looks forward to what will happen.

I like the juxtaposition of his situation: being in a beautiful sunny place but about to endure a dark horrific end.

I think there could be a way to accomplish the contrast without him specifically going through internal dialogue. It’s mainly that first line with this part “there was nothing cheerful about today, or yesterday, or tomorrow, for that matter”. I don’t think all that is really necessary.

Your advice was taken. I’m not sure the illusion of the cheerful walls is shown here though.

bridgesareforburning

Hi SAM,
    Nice contrast between the bright sunshine and white walls and the dark situation your MC is in. Ron

rgayer55

Unfortunately, there will be no tomorrow. Nice story telling.

rochellewisoff

For you a few lines you held me prisoner. Despairing dark against cheerful light. Well written.

Sheila

This definitely made me feel for this person and that’s hard to do in just a few words.

Thank you for the very kind words. I hope to draw you in like this every time.

billgncs

good one … it has a resigned desperation about it. enjoyed your bio, alas I only have a checkered tablecloth.

Hahahaha! Be careful. I turned Madison’s FB watermelon picture into a 700+ word story. Your checkered tablecloth could be next, lol!

myothervoices

Do you think the prisoner would see the sunsine as cheerful? Interesting choice of words.

Yes, as it always is. Perhaps that location was chosen for the easy deception. You wouldn’t expect a prison there.

thecontradictoryoptimist

Nice story, I like the contrasts.

Sandra

Good one, nice projection of the inevitability of his situation.

boomiebol

This is so powerful, and the reality of some…like this

K.D. McCrite

This breaks my heart. The story, not the writing. Good job.

April Galloway (@AMelodyGalloway)

Interesting contrast of a light setting and dark plot. I like it. Here’s mine: http://melodypearson.com/2012/10/into-the-desert-stronghold/

Lora

Looking at it again, that alleyway could be a trap and lead to one-way prison. Nice work.

Shirley McCann

Amazing how many writers used the foreign/war setting for the pic. Must be a sign of the times. Sad, though. And scary.

rich

he has a toughness that i only wish i had.

dmmacilroy

Sear Sam,

You captured the thoughts of the captured and shackled us to him for his long, hot walk. Well done.

Aloha,