The Useless Fairy II

The Useless Fairy II
September 21, 2012 14 Comments Writing Stephanie Ayers

Aiane carried the mirror through the mist, intent on what was swirling within it rather than where she was going. She dressed in all black, but not because she was wicked. Rather, it was in disguise. Her magic was powerful and there were many who would take advantage and use it for evil. Wearing the black let her practice freely, as she wished, yielding to neither the good nor the bad.

An unidentified noise from the mist caused her to clutch the mirror closer, yet not too close. She did not want to be sucked in. She must be wary of another who wanted the looking glass. He would have no qualms sending her within the whirling abyss of the glass. He had sent others through it, most recently her children, the fairies. They were not really her children, but they looked to her to lead them and protect them. She had failed them once, but she would not fail them again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A new picture prompt is offered weekly with the suggestion to write a paragraph of fiction based on what the picture inspires. This week’s picture is shown above the story.

I welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. I want you to share your feedback in a comment.

Thanks for stopping in.

hmmm….I’m, liking this picture…I have a real “Rachel vibe” coming…is this connected to your first fairy piece? Will she help the one sneaking through the darkened halls?

It is connected to the first piece, and I absolutely thought “RACHEL!” when I saw it. Then I went to Once Upon a Time because the girl reminds me of Regina.

Renee

Yes I wanted more! Now I have that and more curiousity about what’s next.

Nicely done.

Thanks, Renee. Coming from a fantasy author, that’s quite a compliment.

Anne Schilde

Is her name pronounced like mine or like Diane? Also, is there more to the story idea? I read the first one too, but I didn’t really see the connection between the two. I’m curious about the other side of the mirror.

In my head its I-ain like in ain’t. There’s a lot more in my head too. The connection between her the other story is that they are her children. But, as with stories, you never know which why they’ll go, so maybe this is a different t story altogether. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad

Ermilia

Yes, this definitely feels like there is more to it. You’ve given us a sliver of a grand story. Thanks for contributing this week to Picture it & write, Sam. 🙂

– Ermisenda

The image was right up my alley.

joetwo

Nice one! I like how you identified the black look as a disguise. I hadn’t seen it from that way before.

Thanks. I’d never looked at it from that perspective before either. I don’t know why no one ever writes about the grey witches.

joetwo

The black ones are more fun. At least I think so!

Idk about that. Grey gets the best of both.

Devina a Lemon flavoured Jellybean

I really enjoyed this! Do you plan on continuing this or is it a random piece? I should keep mine as short, long entries sometimes confuse reader.

The previous post is actually another piece and I think I may continue it. I have several places I need to write for with deadlines approaching.