The Arsonist

The Arsonist
February 14, 2012 14 Comments Writing Stephanie Ayers

The only time I see you anymore is in firelight’s glow. This is when I can feel your warmth.  Flickers of memory flow through me, a reminder of our love so like that flame– grown so quickly, extinguished too soon. It was only fitting that fire would be the mistress that stole you away.

Life is misery without you; each day a struggle to endure alone. Nothing can soothe this ache that echoes through my hollowed chest. Nothing but you.

So here I am, my finger blackened from the constant striking of the match that brings you back to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This week’s 100 Word Song challenge was See a Little Light by Bob Mould. (link takes you to lyrics and video).

Take the plunge. Join the 100 Word Song challenge today!

This is also a response to the #BMWW challenge this week. We were challenged to write a love story based on the picture at the top of the page.

So how did I do? I love feedback, especially yours. Please feel free to add your thoughts on the story, where it could use improvement, and what you liked about it or didn’t like. Your feedback helps me grow as a writer.

Thank you for stopping in and reading.

Lance

wow! The metaphor is on fire! sorry, couldn’t resist

great job in small space…thank you for making in it…good stuff

Thanks to you and Marian for such a sensational prompt!!

I love the imagery you’ve crafted, the pain of loss and the literal “playing with fire” to get that sensation back but it feels like there might be words missing here and there. For example, this sentence:

Flickers of memory flow through me, reminding of our love so like that flame (shouldn’t there be a ‘me’ after reminding?)

This line is a bit clunky too: Misery is life without you I’d do “Life is misery without you”

I love this image and I solemnly swear to get a post up for this week’s BMWW!! I feel bad missing the past few weeks

I left the second me off on purpose, and switched that second one around trying to be artsy, LOL. Guess it didn’t work.

I cant wait to see what you come up with for that picture!

I like thinking of passion and lust as fire…and going back even when you know you shouldn’t. That picture unsettles me and your words did too, in a good way.

That picture enthralls me. I think it is going to prompt more than just this. Fire is extremely passionate, that’s why we are so drawn to it.

t

Nicely done, and I’m left wondering – does your character hope that the match will bring their love back to them, or rather take them over to their love?

Actually, my character lights the match knowing that for just that moment, he is there with her.

Sent from my iPad

You aren’t big on thriller/chillers are you?

Sent from my iPad

johnlmalone

I like this. I like writing short little snapshots of horror or thriller too. You might enjoy mine. We aee both doing similar things

I checked you out. I’ll be by again.

Sent from my iPad

writingchellestyle

I totally love that last line!!!!!!!!!!!!

Imelda @ Cum Auxilio Ab Alto

Oh, how beautifully poignant and sad.