The Cycle of Life

The Cycle of Life
December 6, 2011 17 Comments Writing Stephanie Ayers

A small yet famous fairy sits among pink flowers interrupted by purple and green. It is small, yet special. Its back is black with a felt covered extension that doesn’t quite support its weight. The center is a rectangular hollow. A newborn babe dressed in blue, fists gathered tightly by a round face, thin dark hair crowning over big dark eyes, lays on a white background. The whole package rests gently on the corner of the white built-in bookshelf over my head.

I look to my right at the thick dark hair crowning over big blue eyes, his body lean and tall as he removes the cover from my mattress, tosses my pillows to the floor, and wraps himself in my quilt. He bounces once, twice, then drops the quilt to the floor, wrapping the sheet around his body, and making vampiric faces as he opens it like a cape. I look back at the small newborn babe, so innocent on the white, and smile.

Life is good and I am blessed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pick one thing that you can see at this moment, in the room with you, and write something down somewhere. Take that starting point and finish by Wednesday; 350 words is the limit.

Lydia

What a fun prompt! I loved how you switched between viewing your child as a baby and viewing your child today. It’s cool to see the similarities and the differences. 🙂 Very sweet glimpse of life with child too.

DM

Sometimes I wish that he was still that little newborn, but I love the little man he is slowly becoming. He’s in the “Why” cycle and daddy does such a fantastic job of fielding the questions.

Jessica Anne

So sweet!

lisa from insignificant at best

So cute. Made me think about how big my daughter has gotten. They grow so fast!

DM

They grow too fast!!

The glimpses make all the difference…those flashes of what was and the picture of what is. Wow…I loved the descriptions in this.

DM

Thanks, Kirsten!!!

Angelia Sims

Makes me cry! Where does the time go? 🙁

DM

I don’t know but I want it back. 😉

Another cookie, please!

Being so very caught up in time (or the lack thereof) at this moment, your post made me stop and think back to the faces who smile back at me on my shelves.

Beautiful!!!

DM

I like the way you put that. “The faces who smile back at me.” It’s true though, isn’t it? THanks for stopping by and reading.

Amanda

How sweet! I love the face you described as “vampiric”-I can totally see the face he’s making.

DM

he really is sweet, even though he destroys my bed.

jesterqueen1

Oh how familiar. The destructive impulses at our house have kind of moved past the ‘cute’ stage, though and into the really destructive one :). Your little guy sounds so handsome. (As long as he only makes vampire faces and doesn’t start sparkling.)

DM

No, no sparkles, thank goodness. I think I might send him back where he came from if he did. 😉

JRoss3

Great little story, very touching. The emotional content comes through loud and clear in this. Thanks for linkinking up with us!

DM

Thanks for the awesome prompt!