Boo!

Boo!
October 21, 2011 62 Comments Writing Stephanie Ayers

There’s blood on the walls, but its been there for years. No one knows how it got there, but on a dark night like this one, you can hear the screams.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My instructions this week were to SCARE you in 160 characters or less.

Did it work?

Anastasia

I like it! Very creepy.

Sweaty

Sounds like a very creepy, haunted house! Eek!

DM

And I’m wondering just how creepy a haunted house I can create now. Thanks for your thoughts!

Tina

EEEEEE!!! Scary!

P.S. I like the new look!

DM

Thank you. I like it too.

Ok, I am so glad it’s morning because that freaked me out. I don’t do well with scary stuff…and “hearing those screams” really spooked me. Nice Job Steph! I am “reading you” all weekend..I need to catch up!

DM

You are so brave, Kir. You are hopping around today despite the prompt. This is why I admire you.

Amanda

hmmm wonder how the blood got there?

Galit Breen

Eek! Very scary!

Ratz (@RatZest)

Oh Dear!! This really freaked me out.

DM

Ha! I’m glad but I hope it didn’t freak you out too much.

Jackie

Blood on the walls, totally freaked me out, combined w/those whispers. AAAH!

DM

I do think the screams were the clincher.

Tomekha

Wow. I’m chilled.

Ohh. Did you get iced? 😉

Katie

Yes! it worked! LOVE stories like this. haunted houses get me every time 🙂

DM

Thanks!! It might be fun to write a haunted house story.

angela

Oooh, blood on the walls is scary. I want to know what story it will tell.

DM

I’m sure there’s more where that came from. I have the sleepless nights to prove it, LOL.

Karen @ Time Crafted

Ooo…now I want to know why! Why it’s there, why it’s been there and not removed, why the screams, only on dark knights. There’s a bigger tale there! :>

DM

I think there is too. Maybe I’ll get an oportunity to use it before NaNo starts up. I am seriously considering self publishing a book of the creepy stories. That might be fun!

Kim

I’m just glad I don’t have to clean the walls – now THAT would be scary!

Renee

Oh perfect! Blood on the walls. Old blood. And screaming. Wonderful intro to the bigger story. Yes?

Kelly

This sounds like the beginning of a very scary Halloween ghost story. Do tell more!

DM

Well, not this story, but these words are used in another one, at least partly.

debseeman

This is an awesome opening line for a book!

DM

It would be a very short one. I plan to ask Stephen King someday how he can write a long scary story. Thank you for the thumbs up though!

Karen Peterson

I was in a creepy hotel room once and after someone called us and threatened to kill us, we discovered blood on the wall. True story.

I like yours! Totally took me back to that night!

DM

This sounds like a great text too. That’s pretty scary!!

reminds me of those spooky camp-out stories or slumber parties.

Very creepy!

DM

I’m getting some ideas from these comments, LOL.

Nichole (@ITSMoments)

Super creepy. The fact that the blood was old was a nice touch!

DM

Thanks! It’s way better than the axe beheading I was working on.

Jackie

My hope is that by reading these throughout the day that I won’t be sitting on my couch later afraid of every noise I hear!

DM

Hahaha. And I have to wait until tonight before I can do any real hopping around. Looks like it might be another sleepless night for me!

NotJustAnotherJenn (@MidwestMomments)

Oooh shivers! Love it!

John

That certainly has my interest piqued.

DM

Ha. I guess it’s not quite so scary for you, then. 😉

CDG

totally want to curl up under a blanket with a flashlight and tell spooky stories now!

DM

These comments have inspired me to flesh out my scary stories and put them in a book together and perhaps self publish them.

Kris

Not my kind of house for sure. Would love to know who you’re talking to. It felt like a comment in the middle of a conversation. It definitely got my mind going.

DM

Interesting. I’m not really sure who is doing the talking or who is being talked to, LOL. I’m not even sure if it falls in the middle of a conversation or in the beginning.

Jessica@Team Rasler

Woo! Sounds like the beginning of a trailer to a horror movie!

kidfriendlyja

Oh my yes you did. Love the way you ended… you can hear the screams

susie

For some reason this reminds me of The Shining… which is awesome!

DM

Ha! Another Stephen King reference. I wonder if his influence on my reading choices as a teenager are apparent? LOL.

Shah Wharton

Oh that was clever! It succeeded. :0

Oh, as you like such things there’s a writing challenge/linky in town. Every weekend I’ll share a PROMPT and every Wednesday everyone can link up there (poem or short story 500 max)response at the Storyteller Linky. This weeks prompt is a Picture. Check it out. 🙂

I also have a spooky book review and the weekend blog hop right now too! http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-book-review-voice-of-blood-by.html

Have a great weekend either way. Shah.X

DM

Thanks, Shah! I’ll spread the word.

Terry

Very creepy..success in creating a scene of fright.

(FL Girl with a New Life

Insert evil laughter.

Well done.

DM

Thanks, Tina. I love the evil laughter insert there.

Countdown to 500 (#3) | My Write Side

[…] I took up the challenge of lots of different writing prompts. This one, with the idea to scare you in 160 words or less, is the second most commented post: […]